Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Life



Hi PCMS'ers,

As the school year winds down and your summer break (I will use the term "break" loosely) begins, you will have an immense amount of choices to consider in regards to your educational and recreational endeavors this sunny season.  I too must consider how to spend my time "off."  Like any other human being, I have set lofty goals to do all the things I feel unable to do during the busy school year (e.g. reading, watching the year's most acclaimed movies, reading, spending time outside, playing with our dogs, reading, finish my Grad School class, did I mention reading?).

What I have learned in my short time off is that there will always be something else that is deemed "pressing," ready to take time away from the things I truly want to do.  Allowing myself to give in to the immediate needs of others or even falling trap to what I like to call "lazy syndrome" (you know those times when you spend copious hours on the couch and then realize 6 hours later that you have "wasted" the entire day...?) can truly take away from your long-term goals as a person.  This is not to say that spending time with others (family, friends, etc.) or taking moments for some well deserved rest and relaxation on the couch should leave you feeling guilty, but everything should be enjoyed in moderation (yes, even your time spent watching re-runs or that television series).

So, what am I really trying to get at here?  There must be a purpose and possibly even a "catch" to all of this, right?  Think long-term, focus on your goals and aspirations, and be a little selfish.  It's easy to avoid your reading aspirations or plans to build a next generation thermodynamic engine that will resolve all the world's energy needs, so become conscience of how you are spending (or wasting) your time.  I suggest taking a few extra moments to read (anything at all), but you probably knew that... Speaking of which, I am going to continue my trek into President Bill Clinton's My Life.  

Progressive Thinking,

Mr. Stocker

No comments:

Post a Comment